Is a video CV right for you?
How to tell if a video CV will be best for you.
A video CV is a short film that shows employers your skills, experience and enthusiasm.
A good video CV can encourage an employer to interview you because it can show more of your personality and motivation than a written application.
When to make a video CV
You should make a video CV if an employer asks for one.
Consider making a video CV if you:
- have the skills to make a video or someone who can help you
- want to showcase your video skills
- want to show your creativity
- want to demonstrate your presentation, sales or performance skills
- are confident in front of the camera – or have the skills to make an animated CV
- have researched the employer and are confident that they'll be happy to receive a video CV.
When not to make a video CV
A video CV isn't suitable if you:
- don't know how to make a video and don't have time to learn or someone to help you
- don't have time to do a good job
- are unconfident in front of the camera and don't have the skills to make an animated video.
- Fergusson, S, 'How to Make a Video Resume (Plus Top Examples)', 24 January 2022, (www.wyzowl.com).
- Newstalk ZB 'Grant Habgood – Robert Walters Recruitment Director – on Using Video Cover Letters for Job Applications', 25 January 2022, (www.newstalkzb.co.nz).
- Lewis, K, 'A Video Resume - Do You Need One', 4 January 2021, (www.linkedin.com)
- Smith, J, 'Create a Great Video CV', April 2021, (www.prospects.ac.uk).
Updated 29 Mar 2022