Jobs in skill shortage
Skill shortages happen when employers find it hard to get staff with the right skills for the job. Knowing which jobs are in skill shortage can help you choose the best job option or decide what subjects to study.
Reasons for skill shortages
Skill shortages can happen because:
- there aren't enough workers with the right skills available
- turnover is high because workers are unhappy with pay or working conditions
- there is a general labour shortage, such as during low unemployment.
Skill shortages can change due to:
- changes in technology or the economy
- skilled workers moving to another country
- an ageing workforce.
Immigration New Zealand's skill shortage lists
When jobs appear on Immigration New Zealand's skill shortage lists, this means the Government is actively encouraging skilled workers from overseas to work in that role in New Zealand.
Find out what jobs are currently on Immigration New Zealand's long-term, regional, and construction and infrastructure skill shortage lists within the following industries.
Jobs in Animal Care and Conservation
Horse trainers train horses for racing, and are responsible for their care at a stable or race track.
Veterinarians treat sick and injured animals, provide general animal care, and advise about health care and disease prevention for pets and farm (production) animals.