How to search for jobs
Tips for job search success.
Start with your skills and interests
Find out about jobs
Use our job profiles to research jobs that interest you, and check their entry requirements.
Approach employers to learn more about jobs
To find out about jobs and what employers are looking for, speak directly to them in a focused chat or "informational interview". You can ask if they know anyone who's looking for staff too.
Find job vacancies
Search job vacancy websites and social media.
If you're eligible for Mana in Mahi – Strength in Work, you can get paid while you train to do a job.
Other ways to find jobs
You may discover jobs if you:
- look on employers’ websites and social media
- register with a recruitment agency and online job vacancy sites
- read professional and industry journals – these may be available at your public library
- use notices on community or supermarket noticeboards and check local newspapers
- attend career expos
- tell people you know that you're looking for work. Include family and friends, previous employers and colleagues and local business people.
Part-time and seasonal jobs
Part-time and seasonal roles can build your work record and lead to longer-term work.
Websites listing seasonal work vacancies include:
- Pick New Zealand website – find seasonal picking jobs
- Backpackerboard.co.nz website – seasonal job listings
Volunteering can develop your skills, work history and networks. These can help you get a paid job.
Check your online presence
Many employers look up applicants online, so make sure you look professional. Consider limiting who can see your social media posts.
Prepare your CV
Know and describe your employability skills
Employers want to see your employability skills, such as having a positive attitude and being able to work in a team.
You can have employability skills without having had a paid job.
Prepare your CV
Prepare your CV and cover letter to match jobs you’re applying for. List your relevant, recent job experience and skills.
Keep a record of jobs you apply for and research that could be useful for interviews.
Be ready for interviews
Research possible employers and practice answering interview questions by roleplaying with a trusted friend or family member.
Get help with your job search
Updated 12 Sep 2023